Sunday, October 24, 2010

I Got A Rock


"Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin" - I watched it for the fortieth time. I am always amused by this particular scene. Really pathetic on Charlie's part. Also, I can relate to Lucy's irritation. Between the ages of four and seven, my brother always got sick on Halloween. Thus, because I was able bodied (and the under the unwavering title of 'The Oldest'), I was forced to ask for double doses of candy from the Neighbors. I always tried to briefly explain the situation to the candy-giver prior to asking ("My brother got diarrhea and had to go home early. Can I have another box of Junior Mints for him?") Often times my well-rehearsed rationale was greeted with rolled eyes and wary dispensing. I was never outrightly denied an extra sweet but it did come at the cost of my credibility. Although, all of my kiddie wheeling and dealing was not in vain. When I did returned from the a night of T&T, fingers cold and pillow-case full, Kyle would be waiting on the couch for me, still dressed in a Robin Hood or Cowboy outfit that never saw the light of any porch bulbs, his breath smelling of Mylanta. He would paw through what I had secured for him, happy with his loot. I felt better knowing that I had once again prevented a Halloween brouhaha....
Oh, and as collateral for my efforts, I always gave myself the preferred of the two pieces. 1/2 of Kyle's bag was bastard confections like Dots and Necco Wafers. He never seemed to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment