Friday, May 27, 2011

Queen Vick Mix

I went on vacation to NY State and Canada. The trip was nine hours long. In order to keep from having to revert to mind-numbing car games like "License Plate Alphabet" or "Highway I-Spy," I made a playlist. The method by which I complied the playlist was extremely scientific and based on a set of predetermined criteria:

1. Songs about being on the road
2. Songs about Canada/by Canadian artists
3. Songs about getting away from home
4. Songs about returning home
5. Songs that can be danced to using the upper half of your body only, without being strangled by a seatbelt
6. Songs that are introspective for long spurts of barren landscapes
7. Songs that are joyful and could signal the approach of a destination

Here are a few highlights:

- Keep the Car Running by Arcade Fire
- Good Times (Sick Pimpin') by Atmosphere
- When She Comes Home by Deer Tick
- A New Part Of Town by Matt Pond
- Hop a Plane by Tegan and Sara
- Miles Away by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- This Time Tomorrow by the Kinks
- You Turn Me On I'm A Radio by Joni Mitchell
- Sleepytime in the Western World by Blitzen Trapper
- Walkin' Up The Road by Betty Davis
- I Gotta Move by Ben Kweller
- More Adventurous by Rilo Kiley
- Passenger's Seat by Death Cab For Cutie

I am still trying to sort out my thoughts on the whole Canadian experience.
(Are there really moose here and if so, where are they hiding them? Why can't I wear my sunglasses while crossing the border? How is their maple syrup different from Aunt Jemima?) However, my memories of the trip will never be relived as a silent pan. Instead, they will flash in time with a killer soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment