Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Smash His Camera



I watched "Smash His Camera" on Netflix the other night. The documentary explores the life and legacy of Ron Galella, one of the founding fathers of paparazzi-style photo journalism. Some critics claim that Galella's work is parasitic - in that it fed off the fame of subjects, in that he latched onto these stars with an irritating ferociousness similar to a flea with a Cannon. I felt this uncomfortable tension while at an exhibit of his at the Met last Spring. I was wary, even with the white walls, descriptive cards and glass. He got punched in the face by Marlon Brando. He was sued by Jackie O. He likes bunnies a lot. He is a New Jersey native. Love him or hate him, Galella's sparked more than one conversation. I guess that is enough of a reason to recommend "Smash His Camera." As the credits rolled, I felt entertained and mildly itchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment