Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Bed Intruder


My sister Toni dreamed Santa was beside her bed on Christmas Eve, watching her sleep. I asked her to sketch a picture of what he looked like. In Toni's photo, Santa is beardless - a strong-jawed gentleman with twinkling eyes. I find her doodle to be inconsistent, despite her earnestness. Santa resembles another very real fantasy dude - Edward Cullen/Robert Pattinson. I gave Liv, my other sister, "Eclipse" on DVD that morning. My theory is as follows: Toni's subconscious is being overcrowded with pop culture triggers. Her Santa looks like a morose vampire because of Twilight mania. Her claim that he invaded her room stems from the viral video "Bed Intruder." Sooner or later "Up On The Housetop" will morph into "He be climbing into your chimney/Snatching your cookies up/Hide your Kids/Hide your Wife..."





No comments:

Post a Comment